Unfortunately, this benefit will no longer be available to the card after July 23,2017. So make sure you make the most out of your remaining rounds!
In theory you could still apply for the card and get 6 free rounds before canceling the card, and still getting an immense amount of value out of the card for one year of an annual fee ($450, or $350 if you’re a Citi Gold member). There are still some reports of 50k signup bonus offers out there, although the public offer is 40k. Make sure you screenshot that 50k offer in case they decide to give you 40k.
If you’re an avid golfer and you haven’t heard of the Citi Prestige card, you’ve been missing out on one of the best kept secrets in the credit card world and the golf world.
I’ll focus solely on the Citi Prestige golf benefit here.
I’ve had the Citi Prestige card since January 2015, in that time I’ve played the following rounds, with dollar amounts as the listed rate at the time of playing my round.
- Doral Blue Monster (2x) – Miami, FL ($450)
- TPC Jasna Polana – Princeton, NJ ($225)
- Aviara Golf Club – Carslbad, CA ($250)
- PGA West Stadium Course – La Quinta, CA ($500)
- TPC Sawgrass Stadium Course – Ponte Vedra Beach, FL ($450)
- TPC Scottsdale Stadium Course- Scottsdale, AZ ($250)
- Boulders South – Scottsdale, AZ ($230)
- El Camaleon at Mayakoba – Playa Del Carmen, Mexico ($299)
- Playa Paraiso – Riviera Maya, Mexico ($199)
All in all that totals ~$3300 worth in golf over the past two years versus $700 in annual fees (I’m a Citigold member so it saves $100 on the annual fee). Granted these courses green fees are massively inflated, I absolutely love about the Citi Prestige Golf benefit.
If I had to rank the following courses I’d go with the following.
- TPC Sawgrass
- PGA West
- Boulders South
- Doral Blue Monster
- TPC Scottsdale
- Playa Paraiso
- TPC Jasna Polana
Note you may be scratching your head as to why I was able to play 9 rounds over 2 years, well it’s because I used a few rounds from a friend who wasn’t going to use his benefit by the end of the year.
Here’s a list of some of the more expensive rounds you can take advantage of with the card. (Rates are subject to change and seasonality, but should give you a general idea of what it costs to play there)
Pasatiempo – Santa Cruz CA – ($290)
Old Homestead TPC – Cascade – VA ($200)
Bali Hai – Vegas – ($250)
Banff Springs – Alberta – Canada ($230)
Chambers Bay – WA ($240)
Monarch Beach Golf Links – Dana Point, CA – ($210)
Poppy Hills Golf Course – Pebble Beach, CA – ($250)
The Old White TPC at the Greenbrier – Cascade – VA ($370)
Atlantic City Country Club – Atlantic City, NJ ($225)
TPC Boston – Norton Ma – ($250)
Princeville Makai Golf Club – Princeville, HI ($275)
Ko Olina Golf Club – Kapolei, HI ($220)
Bear Mountain Golf – mountain course – Victoria BC, ($200)
Nicklaus North Whistler – Whistler, BC ($125)
Mid Pines Golf Course – Southern Pines, NC – ($150)
Pine Needles Golf and CC – Southern Pines, NC – ($190)
La Cana Golf Couse – Punta Cana, Dominican Republic – ($140)
PGA National Golf Course at the Belfry – Warwickshire, England ($100)
Basically any TPC course is going to be ~$200+
How to Book your 3 free Citi Prestige Golf Rounds
- Step 1: Once you have the card you’ll have to enroll in the golfswitch program to book your tee times.
- Rounds cannot be booked within 3 days. So for examples sake, if today is July 19th, the earliest tee time I could book is July 22nd. This prohibits any last minute rounds to be booked.
- You can only book one round at a time. Thereby making it almost impossible to play two rounds in a golf trip over a 3 day weekend (If you stretch it to four you could make it happen)
- The amount of time you can book a tee time ahead varies by course. The calendar function will only give you dates 60 days out, but that doesn’t mean you’ll be able to book a tee time that far in advance.
- You’re not guaranteed a tee time on the TPC courses, you have to request a tee time.
- When I played at TPC Sawgrass i called ahead to see what tee times were available and when I requested a round via the golfswitch interface I made sure to choose the time frame that had open tee times.
- It will take ~24 hours for them to confirm your TPC tee time.
- Of the 3 free rounds per year, only 2 can be at a TPC course.
- There are varying times in which tee times open up for the TPC courses. (See Below)
- Sometimes courses have a minimum of 2 people to secure a tee time, and in that case you’re out of luck, and may have to wait until closer to the round to secure a time, or perhaps give the citi prestige concierge a call to help you out. Generally they don’t have much leeway here and can only perform actions we all have in the interface.
- Coordinating with other friends who have the Citi Prestige can be a little stressful if you’re planning a trip somewhere and you can only book a tee time 14 days in advance (TPC Sawgrass I’m looking at you)
- When booking your free round make sure to check the box that says you’d like to use your free round, it’s innocuous, so you may inadvertently hit submit and be charged a large sum of money to your card. The amount is not credited back for you after purchase, it acts as a voucher to zero out the cost.
With all of those caveats it’s still an amazing benefit that any golfer is sure to get immense value out of. It certainly doesn’t hurt when you par the island greens of the 17th at TPC Sawgrass and the 17th at PGA West Stadium Course.
Some Instagram Proof
To honor the players championship this week, here’s some throwback action to a green in regulation at the 17th at Sawgrass and a 30 footer to save par. One of the greatest holes in golf. #tpc #tpcsawgrass #theplayers #fbf #golf #par #gir #longputt #ilovethisgame #pga #slowmotion #callaway #islandgreen #petedye #theseguysaregood #thestadiumcourse
A photo posted by Jason Beinstein (@jbeinstein) on
Editorial Disclaimer: Neither the responses below nor the editorial content on this page are provided or commissioned by the bank advertisers, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertisers. Opinions expressed here are the author’s alone, not those of the bank advertisers. It is not the bank advertisers’ responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.