The newest card ‘it’ on the block is the revamped American Express Gold card. Stepping into the ring with some of the premium cards such as the Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve, and the Citi Prestige card.
For a limited time there is an extremely enticing offer for 50k bonus Membership Rewards points for $2k spend in 3 months if you’re referred by someone. The public offer on the site is 25k, so show some love at the link above and we’re both happy 🙂 . There’s no telling how long this will last and could be pulled at any point I’m sure, although the site says this offer lasts through January 9th. They’re also offering 20% back as a statement credit, up to $100 per Card account, on dining purchases at U.S. restaurants for the first three months of your Gold Card membership. This offer is only available to new Card Members approved before who apply by January 9, 2019.
Amex Membership rewards are worth roughly 1.5 cents per point. So that signup bonus is worth $750.
The annual fee is coming in at $250 a year, and if you max out your credit’s it’s only $30 a year. If you max out the 20% statement credit you’re actually coming away with $70 in the black in the first year.
American Express Gold Perks
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards points at US restaurants.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards points at US supermarkets, on up to $25,000 per year in purchases.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- $120 Dining credit. Similar to how the Uber credit works for the Platinum card. Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at participating partners (Seamless/Grubhub is the big one for me). This can be an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required. I learned this hard way and missed out on $10 in my first statement.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit. Similar to the airline credit on the Amex Platinum card and and the Hilton Aspire cards. You’ll have to choose your airline and then can only use the credit with that airline. I’ve been successful as of late using AA as my airline and buying $50-100 gift cards for future use.
For me the 4x at supermarkets was the big winner. The 4x at restaurants certainly doesn’t hurt and it’ll certainly see me swing some of that spend from the Chase Sapphire Reserve over to this card now. I also live in NYC where seamless is monthly, if not weekly ritual, so I will always utilize this credit. Just make sure you enable this in your card settings!
One other unsung benefit for this card and the Amex Platinum is the return protection policy. Amex will protect your purchases. Up to $1000 per calendar year, up to $300 per item for goods that are not accepted by the retailer for return/exchange. I’m in the process of utilizing this benefit with some final sale items I purchased from Bonobos that I didn’t quite like, and they wouldn’t accept returns. The process has been quite easy thus far and I’ll keep you posted on how this process goes.
For me it was a no-brainer add to the card lineup, especially once these 50k referral offers started to come out. Another good thing about the American Express Gold card is that it’s a charge card, so it doesn’t fall into the 5 card limit. So if you’ve maxed out your Amex credit card limit, there’s still hope to add this to your arsenal.
What are you waiting for!?! Grab this 50k Offer while it lasts!
(note this was not a sponsored post, and I may receive compensation as a result of a successful sign up and I very much appreciate anyone who uses my links)