Looking for a travel bag that can handle a long weekend or maybe even a week on the road? Look no further than the Tortgua Setout, the newest addition to the Tortuga backpack family. Get 10% off your Tortuga backpack by using the promo code EPOP. I’d also be remiss if I didn’t give Extra Pack of Peanuts a shoutout here because that’s how I found out about Tortuga, plus they’ve got this sweet promo code!
The Tortuga Setout is a maximum sized carry on backpack at 45L. The Setout takes on a lot of the improvements of the Outbreaker from the old V2 pack, and simplifies the pack for those that may not need the organizational pockets and structure of a backpacking pack. If you’re looking for my review on the Tortuga Outbreaker, you can find that here.
What’s Different with the Tortuga Setout vs the Tortuga Outbreaker?
- The Setout has a full depth half-zip front panel versus two pockets with little room. This is a big improvement over the Outbreaker, those front two pockets had very little utility due to the small amount of space, especially with a full pack.
- The Setout brings back the hideaway straps, a feature in the V2 I really liked.
- The Setout can hold a 15″ inch laptop versus 17″ in the Outbreaker.
- The Setout only comes in one size (45L), versus 35 or 45L for the Outbreaker.
- The Setout is 3.3 lbs compared to 5.1 lbs for the Outbreaker.
What’s to like about the Tortuga Setout?
- The Tortuga Setout has kept that large mesh bottle holder on the side to hold a wide variety of water bottles, or possibly even a tripod.
- The hideaway straps are great in case you’ve packed your bag to the gills and you get the dreaded gate check (we’ve all been there). Hiding the straps will keep your pack from getting caught in any conveyor belts.
- Added loops at the top and bottom of the bag to connect additional items you’ve collected in your travels (either via a carabiner, or some other kind of tie down).
Images Courtesy of Tortuga Backpacks
What’s not to like about the Tortuga Setout?
*I haven’t taken the bag on a trip yet, so this is speculation.
- This bag isn’t for long term travel. I’m not sure it has the internal support/padding that the Outbreaker has when carrying a heavy load.
- Less organizational pockets than the Outbreaker (I can’t decide if this is a negative or positive, so I’m witholding judgement here to change my mind here).
Should I buy the Tortuga Setout?
In short yes, I think this is a great gift for the budding traveler in your life. Once you account for that 10% Tortuga Backpack promo code you’re looking at a $179.10 bag.
Since the bag doesn’t have quite the organization that the Outbreaker has, you might want to toss in the packing cubes for $54 after the 10% promo code. A reminder that promo code is EPOP.
It may not be the best bag for the seasoned world traveler, but for that minimalist someone in your life that takes long weekend trips and wants to avoid checking bags, the Tortuga Setout is a great addition!
(Disclaimer: This is not a sponsored post. This is a 100% genuine review. If you want to help support me, please book through my links).